Write a monologue script or spoken word poem and have the chance for it to be made into a short film.
This year Eastside are accepting open applications from 18 to 25-year-olds for film ideas – your monologue or spoken word poem could be made into a short film as part of the BFI Film Academy delivered by Eastside.
We are looking for scripts/poems based on the themes: Our Time or Our Future
Your short film ideas could include:
In the current coronavirus pandemic
The effect of the Black Lives Matter movement
Our changing environment
What will we learn?
What utopian future will look like, bright or playful?
Your character could be discussing on one of these topics or something completely different – we want you to interpret the themes and make the best story you can. Please remember that you can only have one on-screen character (your character can talk about other characters) in one location as our BFI film crews will only have one day to film.
Please note the following CONDITIONS OF ENTRY:
Your script/poem must be 2 to 5 mins in length – this is max. 5 pages long written script. Your poem must not last longer than 5 minutes when spoken out loud.
Your film should respond to the theme: Our time or Our Future
Your idea needs to be feasible within these parameters:
– If selected you must be available for conversations (via zoom) Late Sept/Oct to discuss your work.
– If submitting a poem please consider sending a voice/screen recording of this as part of your application. (and time the length of this)
– Students will be shooting in London between October and December with access to a studio space and office environment to film in.
– They have 1 day of production time
– Max. 1 location
– Max. 1 on-screen character in any story but could show props or other objects
– Your short story should be clear for an audience to follow
– It’s ok to submit more than one idea but make sure it fits into these requirements
Really looking forward to receiving your entry and please don’t hesitate to get back to us with any further questions.
Some previous examples of completed short films made by previous BFI students here:
In order to enter the competition you need to:
- Complete your online application here or click the button below (apply online)
- Email us your script or spoken word poem to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and BFI Screenwriting competition in the subject line.
- (optional) Send us a voice recording of the poem
- Make sure the story you want to tell is clear for an audience
BFI Screenwriting Competition closes on Thursday 17th September at 5pm
For full CONDITIONS OF ENTRY inc. limitation on the number of character please read the online application form here.