Applications Close: 17th September 2023, 12pm.
Delivered at over 50 locations across the UK and supported by the Department for Education, National Lottery, Screen Scotland and Northern Ireland Screen. Introductory hands-on filmmaking courses build knowledge and skills and show the different pathways into the industry. For talented and committed young people aged 16-19, these short courses have an excellent track record of inspiring the next generation of filmmakers and crew.
BFI Film Academy at Eastside
Are you aged 16-19 with a passion for Film & TV? Are you interested in pursuing a career in the film or television industries and looking to learn from industry professionals? Look no further than Eastside’s BFI Film Academy.
As aspiring filmmakers, you will get the opportunity to deepen your knowledge of filmmaking and the industry through a series of workshops, masterclasses and careers seminars all leading to a final short film project. You will work with successful scripts from our Script Writer’s Open Call to produce your own original films in crews of peers.
Over the course of the programme, you can expect to gain invaluable insights into the qualities and techniques needed to succeed in the British film industry, whilst honing your practical filmmaking skills. After receiving training across the film departments, you will specialise within your crews to create your films on the theme of Coming of Age in the 2020s. On completing the course, you will receive a Silver Arts Award and have your films screened in a London Cinema to audiences of friends, family, industry professionals and a wide range of young aspiring filmmakers.
As a student on the course you can expect to:
- Receive practical training in cinematography, editing, directing, producing, distribution as well as the lesser-known roles within film production including sound design and art department
- Meet a range of professionals in the industry and to hear invaluable advice based on their experience
- Work towards achieving your Silver Arts Award, a level 2 qualification
- Get your short films premiered at a professional arts venue
- Meet like-minded individuals with a passion for film and start building your filmmaking network
Watch last year's films
Watch the films made by our 2022/23 BFI Film Academy cohort
Don’t take our word for it. Hear what programme alumni have to say about our BFI Film Academy
Got a question?
Feel free to reach out to our team below with any other questions you might have, or give us a ring to speak to us in person, on 020 7033 2380.